Saturday, August 16, 2008

Like humans do

Vande mataram- I think we should change it to "TwoDay Mataram"( Vande- One day... Got the joke????) Well.. after all our river of patriotism shows its holy presence twice a year, republic day and independence day, unless some "Abhinav Bindra" upsets the precarious balance. So, saying OneDay mataram is like halving our feelings. Not fair at all.

So, it was independence day recently and like all patriotic citizens, I slept till afternoon, sent "Happy Independence Day" messages , wished my friends, read the tricolored newspaper, cheered the Olympic Gold winner Indian, said "Proud to be an Indian" a zillion times, shopped and slept. I pay my taxes on time, I do not break any rules (assuming giving bribes to a few people here and there is not a rule), I buy Indian stuff(and also the cheaper Chinese things) and I also stand when the national anthem is being played, if I happen to be there by any chance. And yeah, like all ideal Indians I blame the Govt.s, past, present and future for our present state of sports, education, crime and corruption. Also, I do not vote, so , the govt. does not reflect my opinions, this way I am free to blame others who vote. All in all I am a proud ideal Indian citizen, may be spineless, but ideal.

Of all human emotions, gratitude has shortest life. So, true. I am a citizen of an independent country, I can do anything that I want to, choose any vocation, settle at any place, raise my voice against the Govt. There were people who laid their lives so that we can breath in a free nation. And we thank them by singing songs once in a while. I can not recognize more than 5 of top freedom fighters and nation builders and I say I am thankful to them. I do not remember what exactly they did, but I know they must have done something, thats why we had a chapter in history book.

We all say, things are not going right. Nobody is doing anything. Its all going downhill. People are starving, people are killing each other, people are fighting... bad politics..bad people... bad society. But do we ever attempt to change anything? Have we ever thought of repaying back, of working for those who might not be as privileged as us, of doing anything constructive? I guess, that should have been the way of thanking those who gave us what we have today. Of saying "Happy Independence day".

1 comment:

RP said...

I really like your style & point of views=)

never really understood the national pride - we´re all basically equal, in the sense of "belonging&living."
once I get the chance to get my hands on a gold medal I´ll prolly say something like: "proud to be a citizen of Earth!" - and yet, do nothing to preserve it :D

and about the freedoms.. yeah, I live in a country with democracy aswell and.. I can´t do bull! I have SO many things I want to do, but.. the law kinda permits me doing anything, so.. either you follow the rules and then pick the things you want to do or.. I´ve missed some great information about India :p

thanks for the commenting also,
take care!=)